I think It’s time to start writing about stuff that’s not related to technology and make this blog a little more personal :) I’ve always wanted to hike up Broga Hill and have seen numerous photo’s from friends doing exactly that. After much delay, plans were made to hike early Raya morning. Yes, a crazy bunch of us decided that we should hike Broga on the first day of raya, hoping that it wouldn’t as as crowded since a lot of people are away for the long holiday.
After some research and asking friends who has been there before, it basically takes around 30-45 mins to get to Broga and another 45-60 mins to hike the 4 peaks. Plans were made to wake up at 4am and leave KL latest by 5am. This will ensure that we get there just in time for the sunrise.
If you’re not that familiar with the area or have no idea how to get there here is a general guide
- If you are going by Sg Besi just keep going straight towards the direction of Kajang/Seremban (South Bound)
- Take the Kajang exit (211). The toll charges should be RM 1.80
- Keep to the left after the toll and follow the sign board that says Kajang/Semenyih.
- Keep towards the right and keep going straight.
- You will reach a toll (Sungai Ramal) and have to pay RM 1
- After some distance you’ll reach another toll (Bukit Kajang) and pay RM 1 again.
- Keep to your left after paying the toll and take the exit to Jalan Semenyih.
- Turn right at the traffic light and head to Semenyih Town.
- If you take the wrong turning at the traffic light you’ll head in Kajang town instead of Semenyih.
- Just keep going straight until you reach a small town (Semenyih), keep driving straight.
- You’ll eventually need to make a left into Taman Tasik Semenyih/Nottingham University/Kampung Broga.
- Keep going straight untill you see a signboard on your left “Simpang ke Broga 500m” as you approach a traffic light.
- There should also be a Petronas petrol station on the right and as you turn to the left you’ll pass by the Petronas so its behind you.
- Keep going straight until you see a Rabbit Farm on the right side of the road.
- You can choose to park your car at the side of the road or inside the palm oil plantation. There’s a RM 2 charge if you decide to park inside though.
- Congrats now you’re at the foot of Broga Hill.
Also these are the things that you should bring along with you
- A camera
- A small towel
- A bottle of water, depending on your consumption a big bottle is more than enough. I only manage to drink half.
- Rain coat. The disposable kind at 7-11 is more than enough and it’s cheap
- Torchlight. You’ll need it especially when it’s so dark early in the morning
- Hiking or all terrain shoes are definitely recommended. It will help when you’re making your way down
- Sandals to change into when you’re down
- An extra pair of shirt to change into when you’re done hiking
- Sunblock/insect repellent if you think you need it
- Some light snacks (chocolates/fruits/sandwiches)
- Enjoy yourself and go at your own pace :)
It was drizzling lightly when we got there, thank god for the rain coats. We spent 10-15 mins getting everything and everyone organised and soon after we began our hike. It’s surprising to see there were people already on their way down as we just started our climb at around 6am. The hike through the oil palm plantation/woods are relatively easy but there are certain parts that are quite steep and slippery. There are a few forks along the way and we just kept to the right all the way. At least easier to trace back our steps if we got lost :D
Eventually after about 1/2 hour of hiking you should reach the clearing and you’ll see a steep hill which brings you to the first peak of Broga Hill and you’ll be presented with this lovely view. Too bad it was cloudy and the sun wasn’t to be really seen anywhere but still the view from the top was worth the hike.